Did you sing in your high school choir or perform in your jazz band? Were in a rock band?
Undergraduate students can continue to pursue your passion of music while at Lewis regardless of
your major! The Music Department awards scholarships to students, regardless of major, to
participate in various music ensembles.
You do not have to be a Music major to participate in
music groups at Lewis!
- Applied lessons for non-majors are one credit hour and result in a weekly 30 minute private, 1:1,
lesson. Lesson days and times are TBD.
- Beginners are welcome! Students do not need to know how to read music or have any
musical background. Our instructors work with students from beginning to advanced college
- For some applied instruments, students do not need to have their own instrument.The Music
Department provides guitars, bass guitars, double basses, percussion instruments, and pianos to
beginning students. For other instruments, the Music Department can help arrange rental
instruments for the semester.
- Applied lessons do not yet satisfy the Fine Arts general education requirement, but they do
award elective credit toward the 128 credits required for graduation.
The Music Department also has a number of ensembles for college credit. Like applied lessons, as
long as a student is under 18 credit hours they can enroll in an ensemble for credit at no additional
charge and earn college credit!
- Chamber Choir: this choir sings all types of choral music and all voice types are welcome.
- Rock Band Ensemble: This group plays all types of pop music. Drummers, guitarists, bassists,
keyboardists, rappers, DJs, and singers are encouraged to enroll!
- Jazz Band: this ensemble plays all types of jazz music from combos to big band.
- Gospel Choir: this group sings traditional and contemporary Gospel music.
- University Orchestra: students should visit mysomusic.org for audition information. Brass,
woodwind, and percussion students are asked to contact MYSO soon!
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.